Sometimes the traditional dishes are the best ones and macaroni and cheese is no exception. What better way to please everyone then with this tried and true classic? The great thing about macaroni and cheese is there are so many ways to mix it up and make it your own. We threw in four cheeses to this particular dish because who doesn’t love cheese? But you could certainly mix up what you use if you would like a less sharp cheese in your dish. Or you could throw in some pepper or cayenne to the sauce to add a pop of spice. Whatever your preferences, this particular recipe is guaranteed to be a hit!
16 oz. of elbow macaroni
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of flour
2 cups of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup of shredded fontina cheese
6 oz. of brie cheese (be sure to remove rind and chop into manageable pieces)
1 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups of milk
1 1/2 sleeves of Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the macaroni as directed.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, remove from heat and stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Return to medium/high heat.
- Gradually stir in milk in increments of one cup at a time, and stir until smooth. Once one cup has been stirred in until smooth continue until all four cups have been stirred in. Be sure to continually stir so that the flour doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan. Stir until the mixture is thick.
- Stir in all cheese gradually until melted and smooth.
- In a large baking dish spray with a nonstick spray and put macaroni in the dish. Add the cheese sauce over the macaroni and mix until it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle any leftover cheese over the the top of the dish.
- Place the Ritz crackers inside of the sandwich bag and crush Ritz (do not crush it into a dust).
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a bowl in the microwave and then add Ritz crackers after the butter has been melted and mix well. If you like garlic you can even throw in a chopped clove of garlic and mix that into the cracker topping as well.
- Evenly sprinkle the Ritz topping over the macaroni and cheese in the baking dish and then place the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Trackback from your site.