Bringing the outdoors in is what a home at the beach is all about, isn’t it? A beach house is for family and friends to relax and enjoy, especially in summer, when life moves at a slower pace. How do you draw the line between encouraging vacationers to enjoy themselves and entering into the spirit of summer, versus becoming the “enforcer” spoiling other’s summer fun? No one likes to clean up messes at the beach! Here’s a few tips to help make summer at the beach a little easier, and keep your beach house in great shape for future vacations:
- Scatter floor mats at multiple locations on the way in and out of the house – as many as possible. Multiple mats provide more opportunities to collect sand BEFORE it gets in the house, especially for kids who may be tempted to walk inside with sandy feet!
- Outdoor hoses and showers: Encourage guests and family members to get in the habit of rinsing off feet and flip flops before entering the house. Besides, it’s fun to spray cold water on your feet after a hot day at the beach!
- Provide separate “indoor” versus “outdoor” towels and beach blankets.
- Offer an area either immediately outside, or directly inside the front door for beach shoes to be left before entering the main living area. Remind guests to leave clean indoor footwear to be retrieved and worn upon entering the home.
- Vacuum carpeted areas and shake out area rugs frequently…even with all of the above precautions, it’s amazing how much sand still gets tracked in.
- Make outdoor porch areas as appealing as possible. When guests eat, drink and play in outdoor living areas, that means more sand stays outside and there’s less work for you!