It seems like every time you turn around, a new t-shirt is in your closet or laundry. Perhaps you purchase them regularly, or maybe you’re the just the unassuming recipient of wearable promotional giveaways. No matter the source, t-shirts are part of the American way of life. They are worn frequently, and some are even treated with the greatest of care. Yet, all t-shirts reach a point at which they need to be retired. But what if you absolutely love the shirt and don’t want to throw it away? It might have sentimental value, or monetary value as a collectable. If so, don’t stash it away in a dark drawer where you can’t enjoy it. Use it as part of your home décor! Here is a list of some shirts that you might have lying around:
- High school and/or College teams
- Professional sports teams
- Concerts and shows
- Luxury labels or popular brands
- Promotional swag handed out by vendors
- Themed or graphic tees
- Vacation souvenirs
Hopefully our list motivated you to dig through the drawers, and we bet you found more shirts than you thought. Now, what to do with them:
- Cut them at them to size, sew three seams, insert a throw pillow, and sew up the fourth seam
- Purchase a glass-encased memorabilia frame and permanently mount the shirt and hang it on the wall
- Gather as many of them as necessary and sew an amazing memory quilt
- For something avant-garde, buy a torso-up clothes mannequin and put a different shirt on it every week or month (you can add accessories too!)
- Use photographs related to the t-shirt to create a multi-media collage. For instance, if you have a souvenir shirt from your summer vacation, cut off the arms and collar, stretch it over foam board, and pin your vacation photos to the board.
There are numerous options for repurposing your t-shirts, and we’re pretty sure we only mentioned of few. If none of our ideas quite fit your vision, use them as inspiration to think outside of the box and come up with something innovative on your own. If you do, please return to our blog and tell us what you devised!