Natural stone flooring is may be more of an investment but nothing can surpass the beauty and richness of its natural features. Natural stone is durable and adds value to your home. They’ll last as long, if not longer, than your house as love as they’re cared for properly. To prolong the life and maintain the natural glow and beauty of natural stone, it deserves to be given utmost care and maintenance.
Care for Natural Stone Floors
- Sand, dust and dirt cause the most damage to stone floors, but there’s an easy fix! Use a dry dust mop or broom to sweep the floors frequently. If you find vacuuming the floors easier, make sure it doesn’t have a beater bar.
- Application of stone sealant is also recommended to protect natural stones as it repels oil and water.
- Take preventative measures and place walk off mats at every entry of the home to help keep the dirt outside. Area rugs can also help maintain the flooring. Keep the mats and area rugs clean so they can keep as much dirt off of the floors as possible.
- Be sure to clean up spills immediately. You can use a neutral pH detergent and warm water to clean up spills or for periodic cleaning. After cleaning, make sure you really rinse the floor so you don’t leave excess soap that causes streaking.
- Finally, avoid any products that have abrasive cleaners or acids.
It’s always a good idea to know the porosity of the stone flooring because some tend to be more susceptible to staining than others.
Stone flooring is an investment and should be given care. By following some of the tips mentioned above, natural stone can be long lasting and serve its purpose to give your home a sparkling beauty. The photo above was created by our Virtual Room Designer and you can have some fun by designing your own room!