- Use adhesives with low VOC’s
- Choose water based finishes over solvent based
- Acceptable adhesives are listed here: http://www.greenhomeguide.com
Adhesives are just as important to consider when purchasing flooring as the flooring itself. Adhesives with harmful toxins can damage indoor air quality by giving off harmful gasses.
Tips for Adhesives:
- Choose low VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- Do not contain formaldehyde
- Qualify for the Carpet and Rug Institutes Indoor Air Quality green label
- Once installed, floors still give off gas compounds
- Less durable floors have to be replaced more often
- High maintenance floors use more harsh chemicals
- Consider floors that don’t have to be refinished
Tags: green flooring options
Trackback from your site.