Flooring, no matter how new or beautiful, is meant to be walked upon. Vinyl flooring is no exception. Time and the onslaught of foot traffic will most certainly take its toll. But take heart, keeping your vinyl flooring as beautiful and inviting as the day it was installed just requires a little knowledge. So, check out the following advice and be a little smarter about smart and stylish vinyl flooring.
New vinyl floors are extremely durable and long lasting, but like any floor covering they still need regular maintenance to stay looking like new. Follow these general guidelines for vinyl flooring. For more detailed information always refer to the manufacturer’s written floor care procedures. You can’t avoid wear on your vinyl flooring, but knowing how to care for and maintain it can keep you floor in beautiful condition and make it a source of pride for years to come.
- For the first 24 hours after your new vinyl floor is installed, protect all the seamed areas.
- Keep the room at 68° F or greater for at least 2 days after installation.
- Do not roll heavy objects directly on to a newly installed vinyl floor for at least 5 days.
- Allow 5 days before thoroughly washing your floor.
- Lay plywood down before moving heavy objects.
- Check the condition of rollers and casters before use.
- Protect your vinyl floor by covering the legs of furniture with felt protectors.
- Remove dust, sand and grit particles.
- Don’t use a vacuum with a beater bar.
- Rinse the floor thoroughly with fresh water after cleaning
- Place non-staining, walk-off mats or rugs at every outside entry to your room.
- Be sure to avoid using rubber-backed mats or rugs.
- Use rugs specially designed for vinyl floors.
- For spots or spills, wipe them up immediately.
- Make sure the floor’s manufacturer recommends the cleaner you are using.
- Avoid using abrasive scrubbing tools.
- Never use abrasive cleaners, soaps, paste waxes, or solvents on your vinyl floor.
- If you purchased a PVC vinyl floor you should consider placing 2-3 coats of the manufacturer’s recommended floor polish on the floor immediately.
- Cover open seams immediately.
- If your floor gets a cut or gouge in it, cover the area immediately and call your flooring professional.
- Urethane floors finish can darken over time.
- For more maintenance information specific to your vinyl flooring, remember to consult the manufacturers’ recommendations.
Trackback from your site.