This time of year there is nothing like a warm, hearty meal to fill you up and leave you satisfied. But what if you could get all of those things out of a healthy salad that is packed with a great source of protein in quinoa and the nutritious and filling flavor of sweet potatoes?
The great thing about this dish is that there will almost certainly be leftovers for your lunches throughout the week and they work great as a quick and easy work lunch. This salad will taste just as good whether you choose to heat it back up or eat it chilled.
To create your own take on this salad feel free to remove any vegetables that you don’t like and add in any that you want to. The vegetables that really make the dish are the sweet potatoes, tomatillos and fresh cilantro, but beyond that experimentation is encouraged! The best part about cooking is that it is fun and you can be versatile with your food.
Total Prep Time: One Hour
- 1 cup of quinoa
- a block of cotija cheese
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- a few handfuls of arugala
- 1 bunch of chopped cilantro (use what you prefer for strength of taste)
- 2-3 tomatillos
- 1-2 bell peppers
- 2 shallots
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder
- drizzle of maple syrup (honey can substitute)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cube the sweet potatoes, add olive oil and salt and toss. Then lay these flat on baking sheets and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, chop up all vegetables and set these aside.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Feel free to experiment with the spices in the dressing to taste to your liking.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished toss everything together in a large salad bowl. Crumble the cotija cheese and mix this into the salad. Serve immediately.
Trackback from your site.