The best way to help kids learn is to exercise their brains in fun and entertaining ways. One of the hallmarks of youths is the ease with which they are “wowed”! Toss a few mind boggling facts in the direction of a child and watch their interest spike. You’re likely to hear the response, “No way!” To which you can respond “Yes way! And you know what else…”
Use this list to finish that sentence and watch as you kiddo’s brain goes into overdrive with astonishment, questions and exclamations.
- The four leaf clover is thought to represent hope, faith, love, and luck. There are about 10,000 three-leaf clovers for every 1 four-leaf clover!
- Horseshoes should always be hung with the opening at the top – or all of the luck will pour out!
- The city of Chicago dyes the entire Chicago River GREEN to celebrate the holiday
- Leprechauns, according to Irish folklore, are cranky fairies who mend shoes for other fairies. They use trickery and mischief to protect their treasures. Myth has it that if you can catch one he is obligated to grant you three wishes!
- Within the walls of a castle in Ireland is The Blarney Stone, and it is thought to grant magical powers to those who kiss it. As a result millions of people have kissed it!
- New York has hosted its annual St. Patrick’s Day parade nearly 300 times and it is the longest running people parade in the world. It currently boasts 200,000 marchers and 1 million watchers!
- The longest name of a place in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia. That’s 22 letters! Sure gives Mary Poppin’s famous song some serious competition!
- Nineteen U.S. presidents stated Irish heritage, and of the 56 people who signed the Declaration of Independence, nine were of Irish origin!If you have a child who is old enough to partake in a bit of a game, add questions to the facts and ask his or her reply. Such as:
“Do you think Mary Poppins could sing Muckanaghederdauhaulia in a song? Can you? Let’s hear it!”
“What three wishes would you ask of the leprechaun?”
“Are horseshoes really for horses?”
You get the idea! Have fun! Their responses are usually priceless.
Trackback from your site.