Congratulations! Your new resilient flooring is installed and looks beautiful! If the flooring you’ve recently installed new is RevWood, RevWood Plus, or SolidTech Luxury Vinyl Tile, from Mohawk Flooring, or Luxury Vinyl from COREtec, then you have resilient flooring. This type of flooring is great for spaces where moisture is generally an issue. They are pretty simple to care for, but we have put together some easy tips + tricks to share with you on how to care and maintain them so that you can enjoy your beautiful flooring for many years to come!
Basic Maintenance + Care
To remove dust and loose particles from your RevWood + RevWood Plus flooring on a regular basis, use a soft bristle broom, a dust mop or a suction only vacuum cleaner. Avoid a vacuum with a beater bar. For a slightly damp cleaning, apply Mohawk’s FloorCare Essentials RevWood Cleaner to a cotton or microfiber mop and wipe down your flooring. We advise to avoid any wet-mop cleaning or using liquid cleaners. Always remember to wipe up any excess water right away with a clean, dry cloth.
With your Mohawk SolidTech Luxury Vinyl Tile flooring, you may use a soft bristle broom to remove loose dirt. Go ahead and use a damp-mop when needed but be sure to use a nonabrasive floor cleaner.
Lastly, your COREtec Flooring should be swept, dust mopped or vacuumed on a regular basis. An occasional damp mopping is also suggested. Be sure to wipe down your flooring with a clean dry cloth right after though. If any excessive water is left, your flooring could expand.
When you have new flooring, it’s always key to know what to do when damage or stains could occur. For instance, with your RevWood floors, if one of your planks is beyond repairing, you can use the Quick-Step UniFix Tool to remove and replace a damaged plank, on your own, in just minutes! If your flooring becomes stained for any reason, (paint, oil, tar or markers for example) you can use an acetone-base nail polish remover. You can also use an acetone-based nail polish remover on COREtec flooring stains, like; nail polish, paint, dye and permanent markers.
When you have furry friends running around, toddlers spilling their cups, family get togethers getting messy…with any spills that happen, make sure to wipe them up immediately! Do not allow any standing water to remain on your flooring though as this may loosen the adhesive.
Dos and Don’ts
Here are some quick do’s and don’ts to CARE for your new flooring:
- DO add A Little Extra Protection! At each of the entrances of your home, place floor mats or doormats, so that they collect all of that dust, dirt, substances and moisture that can be tracked into your home and onto your new flooring!
- DO use protective pads under the footing of any heavy furniture
- DO use pieces of carpet face down under heavy objects to slide across your flooring
- DO spot clean and wipe up any spills immediately
- DON’T wear high heels on your resilient flooring
- DON’T use wax or polish
- DON’T try to refinish or sand your resilient flooring
- DON’T flood your floor with water or cleaner
Avoid These Cleaning Methods
To keep your flooring in tip top shape, here are a few products NOT to use when cleaning your floors.
- RevWood & RevWood Plus: avoid wax, polish, soaps, shine enhancers, varnish and oils. Do not apply any cleaners directly to RevWood and we recommend not using cleaning machines like spray mops or steam cleaners or mops.
- SolidTech Luxury Vinyl Flooring: avoid using a vacuum with a beater bar.
- COREtec: never use vinegar, acetone or lacquer thinner to clean.